LIBRAS Annual Meeting Minutes 2009
LIBRAS Annual Meeting Dominican University Thursday May 14, 2009
Present: 33 attendees
The Meeting was called to order at 09:40 a.m.
- LIBRAS President Jennifer Paliatka (Elmhurst College) called the meeting to order and delivered the introductory remarks.
- Annual Reports were given by Jennifer Paliatka, President; Jack Fritts, Vice-president (in absentia – Jennifer Paliatka delivered the Vice-president’s report); Marie Hay, Vice President; and Ken Orenic, Secretary and Mark Vargas, St. Xavier University, Past President/Continuing Education Director.
- Elections for the 2009-2010 LIBRAS officers took place. The results of the election were as follows:
- Ken Orenic, Dominican University, Vice President/President Elect
- Marie Hay, Trinity International, re-elected Treasurer
- April P. Levy, Columbia College Chicago, Secretary
- The 2008-2009 Mel George Award was presented to Sally Anderson, North Park University.
- New Business - A discussion took place regarding increasing the Treasurer’s term from one to two years. There has been some confusion by the bank over the name of the current Treasurer and the address to which statements should be sent. By increasing the Treasurer’s term to two years these problems might be mitigated. Concerns were raised over the effect on the financial condition of LIBRAS if a Treasurer that is negligent and/or incompetent is allowed to serve for two years.
- Mary Carrington, Wheaton College, recipient of the 2009-2009 Research Grant gave a presentation entitled Video Training of Student Workers in an Academic Library. Mary’s presentation included a powerpoint presentation outlining and implementing the results of
her research. Carrington’s presentation also included one of the training videos she created for Buswell Library’s student workers.
- A panel presentation entitled Resource Management in Lean Times: How are we Coping? Participants included James Kusik, St. Xavier University – Collection Development; Mark Vargas, St. Xavier University – Staffing; Terry Cottrell, University of St. Francis – Space & Technology.
- Lunch and round table discussions followed the panel presentation. In addition to LIBRAS members a number of Dominican University Graduate School of Library and Information Science students attended.
The meeting adjourned at 1:00 p.m.
Ken Orenic Secretary