About the Award
In March 2021, the LIBRAS governing directors established the LIBRAS Luminaries to honor those that have made a significant contribution in a leadership role at one or more institution(s) within the consortium. Recipients of a LIBRAS Luminary would have made a significant contribution to interlibrary cooperation, continuing education, sharing knowledge, networking as well as embodied the vision and mission of LIBRAS during their lifetime or posthumously. The award consists of a certificate of recognition, a plaque, and noted on the LIBRAS website.
This award is given annually to any librarians or other individuals currently or previously affiliated with LIBRAS in a leadership role who has made significant contributions within LIBRAS throughout an expansive career in libraries. A recipient can only receive a LIBRAS Luminary award once.
A nomination shall consist of a letter (2 page max) outlining key accomplishments, positions held, and addressing how the nominee meets relevant aspects of the criteria listed below:
• Must have made significant contribution to interlibrary cooperation at a LIBRAS institution in a leadership role, but need not have been a director, dean, or manager.
• Embodied the vision and mission of LIBRAS throughout their lifetime career.
• Promoted the development of library staff at one or more LIBRAS institutions.
• Actively contributed and involved in the continuation of LIBRAS in a leadership role.
• Promoted the use of technology in ways that benefited member libraries.
Nominations are due to the LIBRAS President by February 1st.
Anyone within LIBRAS may nominate one candidate per year for this award. Self-nominations will not be accepted. The award will not be given in years when there are no nominee(s) or when the nominee(s) is not selected by the Awards Committee. Formation of the Awards Committee will take place annually at the spring LIBRAS directors’ meeting.
The nominator(s) must address the criteria listed to allow for an informed selection process. No individual nominated for the award may be on the Award Committee. The President will make public the names of the individuals on the Award Committee. After the Award Committee has made the selection(s), the President of LIBRAS will contact the recipient(s). The award winner(s) will be recognized at the LIBRAS Annual Meeting.