56 people attended a day filled with connection, community, laughter, and learning. The North Central College Oesterle Library was a gracious host, opening their newly renovated doors to all of LIBRAS. President Matt Ostercamp welcomed us all to the neighborhood, reminding us that as librarians we are a community that is ready to offer a helping hand, ear, or insight when the need arises.
Treasurer Thom Jencks supplied an overview of the budget, showcasing the increase in professional development grants given this year to compensate for reduction during the pandemic period. Past President Andrew Lenaghan introduced two professional development grant recipients, Chris Chang, Resource Sharing Supervisor at Trinity International University’s Rolfing Library and Elaine Fetyko Page, Head of Technical Services, University Archivist at Elmhurst University’s AC Buehler Library. Each spent a few minutes sharing their experience at recent conferences they were able to attend due to LIBRAS.
Vice President / President Elect Brigitte Bell explained the benefits of the special interest groups (SIGs) which are vehicles for networking and continuing education, they provide enrichment and activities for LIBRAS members. She invited everyone to join a group. President Matt Ostercamp introduced Michelle Boule Smith the candidate running for Vice President/President Elect. Michelle shared her desire to give back to and take care of the library community by volunteering with LIBRAS. The last order of business was the gavel officially being passed to the Brigitte Bell, the new President.
After the short business meeting we disbanded into small discussion groups listed below, thank you to the amazing facilitators who ensured outstanding conversations.
- How do you assess collections? (Facilitator Devin Savage)
- Implementing the information literacy framework in upper-division classes (Facilitators Michelle Boule Smith and Laura Cameron)
- Working one on one with students in research appointments/research consultations (Facilitator Carolyn Ciesla)
- Implementing OER and overcoming faculty resistance (Facilitator Kyle McCarrell)
- Technical Services roundtable (Facilitator Elaine Page)
- How do we talk about generative AI such as ChatGPT, Dalle, etc.? (Facilitator Michelle Vander Woude)
- Current practices in library instruction for first-year students (Facilitators Zohra Saulat and Evan Kuehn)
- Overcoming student library anxiety (Facilitators Nichole Novak and Brittany Poku)
- Customer service strategies for academic patrons (Facilitator Matt Ostercamp)
- Living with roommates – how to survive and thrive sharing space with non-library units (Facilitators Carolyn Ciesla and Michelle Boule Smith)
- Archiving without an archivist (Facilitator Andy Meyer)
- Managing ER in an Alma/Primo world (Facilitator Julie Adamski)
Finally, we enjoyed a tasty lunch from Grumpy Gaucho food truck, tours of the library, and exciting lawn games!