Casual Employee – Circulation Manager
Benedictine University Library
Job Title: Casual Employee – Circulation Manager
Department: University Library
Reports to: Access Services Librarian
Status: Temporary, Non-Benefit Eligible
Location: Lisle Campus
Position Summary: Manages circulation and reserves; assists supervision of student employees; maintains physical collections in the Lisle Campus Library. This is a seasonal, part time Library position. Serves as a backup to Inter-Library Loan processing. This position is 20 hours per week.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Manages all circulation operations, including the library circulation system in Alma, library reserves, AFN and delivery. Provides customer service at the Circulation Desk in cooperation with the Access Services Librarian, including but not limited to maintaining patron records including placing, updating, and changing patron records in Alma, the cloud based Library services platform.
- Hires, schedules, trains and co-supervises student workers at the circulation desk, including assigning special projects, such as shelving and collection maintenance projects.
- Assists with organization and maintaining print reserve collection by quick cataloging and entering into Alma the online catalog electronic and traditional records, including tests, articles and instructor-owned books.
- Generate reports on a regular schedule to inform Access Services activities. Notifies and invoices library patrons for lost direct-borrow materials across all campuses; forwards outstanding bills to University Accounts Receivable.
- Responsible for assisting in stacks maintenance including proper shelf order, cleanliness and condition of print materials.
- Serves as a resource for University departments regarding dissertation and thesis binding. Serves as the ProQuest ETDadmin administrator.
- Manages ongoing library book sale.
- Opens and closes the library on assigned days.
- Oversees the function and appearance of library public areas, enforcing the Library Code of Conduct regarding patron behavior and use of library study areas and equipment.
- Education: High School Graduate/GED Required, Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
- Experience: One year relevant library or customer service experience required. Experience supervising students a plus.
- Specific Skills: Customer service skills and excellent computer literacy required. We’re looking for someone with the willingness to take initiative, having strong interpersonal skills, tactful, flexible, and a problem solver for students, faculty, and Library colleagues. Being organized with good attentiveness to detail a must.
- Specific Knowledge, Licenses, Certifications: Yes. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, good comfort level with computers and willingness to learn new software applications. Experience with Alma preferred but not required.
- Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 40 pounds. Use of computer screen, phone, and customer service. May require bending, or sitting for long periods of time. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The following of campus specific guidelines for pandemic protocols are required.
- Travel (If applicable): No
- Supervisory Responsibility (if applicable): Yes. Co-supervises Library student workers with Access Services Librarian.
- Working Conditions: Office environment. Evening work is required.